Monday, March 23, 2015

On Northanger Abbey




"Friendship is certainly the finest balm for the pangs 
of disappointed love"


This was the first time I have read 'Northanger Abbey'. I enjoyed this novella of Jane Austen's much more than I thought I would. I did not believe that it could be up there with 'Pride and Prejudice' or even 'Emma'. 

But once again, Miss Austen draws you into her world of characters, to the point that you forget that these people are only fictional. Her characters become your friends or you at least desire to have such rich, kind and loving friends. 

I love the lessons that Miss Austen teaches about true friendships, and the natures of those whom we cannot trust in life. I love the pure romance that unfolds and how the truth always outshines the lie. 

My daughter asked me 'what is that novel about'?

I said 'friendships, balls, dancing, romance with beautiful language. 

That pretty much sums up Northanger Abbey.

Five stars out of five stars for me. 

Northanger Abbey is a free read for Ambleside Online year 9, but I think my daughter (who is 10 and in AO5) will read this one in the next couple of years. 

Northanger Abbey was my choice Novella for the back to the classics challenge.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are valued!