Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crumbed eggplant chips ~ A taste of Italiana


My husband and I first had this very tasty recipe in a cafe in Richmond, Melbourne last year. We have loved eggplant parmigiana ever since we first had it, so we were drawn in to try these chips.

Sorry I do not have any pictures!

First choose a lovely dark and smooth eggplant. Cut the eggplant length wise and then into 2cm thick strips ~ say 3cm wide.

Place onto a tray and either sprinkle salt or lightly bathe in Balsamic vinegar. This is to draw out the bitterness in the eggplant. Cover with paper towel and leave for about 15 minutes.

Place a couple of tablesoons of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and heat then cook the eggplant for a couple of minutes both sides. Make sure you don't leave for too long, you don't want soggy eggplant!

Next get your crumbed mixture ready ~ bowl of plain flour, bowl of whipped egg and a bowl of bread crumbs (fresh is the best).

Add more oil to your pan and heat, then with each strip cover with flour then egg then breadcrumbs and place into pan. They only need to be cooked for 2 minutes each side.

Once cooked, put some sweet chilli sauce in a bowl and dip your chips in and Buon appetito.


I think sour cream in a bowl with sweet chilli sauce dribbled on top would also be very delicious to dip your chips into.

There you have it friends,


Very simple,


Very tasty!


Do let me know when you make them! :-)




8 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    These sound delicious, especially with the sweet chilli sauce and sour cream. :)

    Have a great week,
    Blessings,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooohhh Looking forward to trying these, i will let you know how they turn out :) I may even get hubby to eat eggplant this way :)
    Luv Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a keeper! Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't say I'll try these sorry Sarah....but eggplant just isn't for me. You make it sound good though! And it's lovely you're sharing your wonderful recipes with others to enjoy. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never eaten eggplant in anything. I am not even sure I have been offered it! I grew up in the midwestern part of US, they are very much meat and potato people. It did look wonderful! Might be the recipe to use if I ever decide to branch out in my culinary taste acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much enjoy eggplant, although, I rarely think to buy it for home. Thank you for the reminder!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't generally like eggplant but we have a plant growing in the garden that our owner tells us is a form of eggplant, except they're round and yellow. I haven't been game to try one yet. Do you know if they taste the same? I could certainly eat eggplant the way you have described in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of these newer super-bright LED light products will light up
    on voltages ranging from 10 volts DC to 30 volts DC, while others will run on as little as 8 volts.
    For the LED light, there are mainly 3 kinds of white colors -
    warm white, natural white and cool white. However, my husband had a little trouble tightening the screw on the solar panel, so it tended to slip to less than an optimal
    angle.

    Also visit my web-site - Wandleuchten

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!