Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Journeying with Reading Aloud





Did you know that the 6th of March was World Read Aloud Day
I didn't, not until I saw a few status updates on facebook about it. 


Did you know that there are 793 million people who cannot read?
I didn't!

There really is so much I don't know and my soul aches whenever I hear of neglect towards children. I know I can't save the world, I'm not called to do that, but I can make a difference in one life or maybe even ten and I trust that the Lord will water the seeds I plant.

One thing I do know is the Lord called me to educate my children at home for purposes that I understand and some I don't understand and remain only in God's thoughts.


“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."
- Isaiah 55:9



Making reading aloud in our home a habit and a top priority has been a long journey. It all began when I was not satisfied with just text books and a small voice inside me kept prompting me to search for more. It was then that I discovered Charlotte Masons philosophy of education and excitement began to stir within. 

I was very ignorant to the fact of how difficult the road was going to be to break the school system out of my mind. It has been one stepping stone after another and a lot of times I slipped off at times when I allowed other peoples ignorant ideas and criticisms really affect my thoughts.

But I persisted and God sent people into my path who He used to strengthen my weak areas.

One being reading aloud. 

Today I am so pleased to be settled into homeschooling using Ambleside Online and the amazing read aloud system they have going on. I used to be so daunted whenever I would look at the years and all the literature to cover. 

But step by step it is possible. I just made small changes all the time until they became a part of our lives. 

Combining my children has been the best outcome for us even if my son is 4 years older than my daughter, combining all the read aloud's is working out to be very successful. 

The benefits that I have so far witnessed from introducing reading aloud as a way of life are - 


  • Precious time with your children
  • The ability to listen
  • An exceptional increase in vocabulary (and not just from the children)
  • It is a time of sailing off into someones world or venturing back to what once was
  • Having the ability to comprehend and narrate back in your own words
  • Developing a love for reading and for books
  • Opens up various subjects for tremendous conversations 
  • Expands the mind to think
For us this way of learning has been enriching and I Praise God for His leading and wisdom. 

I certainly don't stand back and judge what others do, for it is really important to do what works for each individual family, and homeschooling according to Miss Masons ways works for us.

So today I read aloud two ch of Ethel Turners 'Seven Little Australians' and 1 Chapter from 'Our Island Story' and it was truly a breeze. Ten years ago I would of struggled to even read half a chapter, but that is what is amazing about learning and growing.

All glory to my Heavenly Father who so willingly teaches. 

 "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." - John 15:5








Love Sarah
xxx

14 comments:

  1. So true. I remember looking at AO6 books when I first started and wondering if I'd ever be able to read them...to say nothing of my daughter. Now I love them (and think the same about AO9!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so blessed to of had you go before Jeanne. You have taught me so much about the importance of reading aloud and reading. Thank you! x

      Delete
  2. Great little clips on reading and books. Every home schooler I know reads aloud to and with their children. I am always fascinated that many think that CM was somehow solo on that. :-) Enjoy these years with your children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading one of Charlotte Masons quotes regarding read alouds and how really the children should be reading as much themselves if they are capable. My son has been a late bloomer in reading and I am slowly giving him his own readings (which he enjoys) but not much and I know my daughter will be able to read a lot more by AO5 as she loves reading. But I am making the most of the time I spend reading out loud with my kids, they are growing so fast and really I am making memories.

      Delete
  3. Loved your quotes here, Sarah. Totally agree!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to stop by Carol, I really want to get to know more bloggers. :)

      Delete
  4. I did NOT know this! I am SO HAPPY to know this! Goodness, for not being in blogland much these days, I'm so glad to have had a minute to look around a bit this evening and see your blog! Thanks!
    Hope all is going well with you...I need to do some catching up on your blog, but this first entry is great info!
    Thanks, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to have you come back Keri! I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh the bliss of a long hot cup of tea and a wonderful read. I didn't know it was read aloud day either, luckily we read aloud everyday so I hopefully didn't miss out on anything! Love the quotes. Blessings, Renelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those cup of teas and great books are enjoyed! Thank you for dropping by Renelle, have a marvelous weekend!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dank je/thank you. Beautiful, informative blog. I have children with dyslexia. So, I read aloud a lot and I enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, We have really jumped hard into reading lately. I can't get the boys to pick up a lot of books so to make sure they are gaining wisdom from books we read a lot of them outloud. I keep track of them as well. It encourages me to see how many we have gone through in a month.

    Love the quotes, but I am sure you know I would! I will be taking both of them away with me and file them for a rainy blog day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love those quotes, as a book lover I relate to them all:)) I can remember many hours of my mother reading loud to me, precious moments. My son told me that his wife and him are running out of space for books and I knew I had passed on my addiction to books to my son!!! The world is much smoother with a good book.:)))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!