Friday, March 5, 2010

This week in our Homeschool!

This week in our homeschool, everything has worked together so well. For those of you who homeschool according to Charlotte Mason's methods will know how at times alot of the subjects intertwine themselves together.

For Galloping the Globe we have been taking a closer look at the country Italy (no suprises there) and also reading Columbus and following his journey from Italy. I actually didn't plan to have them work together, it's just one of those CM moments.

Do you want to know a secret?
I never knew Italy was shaped like a boot!

We are also reading (and really enjoying) Our Island Story which once again, Italy was the main source of history.

I love this.

I love how our Geography, History and biography lessons have embroided the one subect together.

It's so fun and so rewarding to see my children so fascinated with the stories.

I am experiencing now in our homeschool what Charlotte Mason expressed, how living books brings the class alive.

To wrap up this week, I want to share one of Joshua's oral narrations from 'Our Island Story' ~

'How Caligula Conquered Britian, and How Caractacus
Refused to be Conquered'

"Caligula tried to conquer the britons. Caligula commanded his soldiers to pick up the shells.

The soldiers obeyed there master and took them home to remember that they conquered Britian.

Caractacus made a speech, "show yourself like your men" and the Romans heard them and thought they were cheering.

They got scared and went to go fight, and they took their land.

The Romans put Caractacus, his Wife and daughter in chains and the romans gathered around to watch him because he was a mighty warrior and never gave up and the Romans felt sad.

The King liked Caractacus' attitude and speech and he let his family go free."

Thank you for stopping by, I value your time and comments as always. May you have rest over the weekend, I sure know I need it!



Find rest, O my soul, in God

alone; my hope comes from him.

~ Psalm 62:5

8 comments:

  1. "The King liked Caractacus' attitude"...like it alot. Yay Joshua!!

    By the way, re boots, do you know the poem that starts "Italy kicked Sicily into the Mediterranean Sea...?"

    It is still how I remember the names!! Can't remember much more of the poem though. The next line is something like "Turkey was roasted in Greece..." or something vaguely like that.

    Have a nice weekend Sarebear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Jeanne and I are of the same era! Big footed Italy kicked Sicily a...and so on.
    (How about Hungary ate Turkey dipped in Greece:-)
    Always great to read that others are having a great week. Have a good weekend now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    I love history and geography, specially when we can do have them combined in one with living books.
    Love this verse, truly our rest comes from Him, amen.
    Blessings on your weekend,
    Katia

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Great narration :) I'm with you Sarah - I just love it when things we're learning fit together.

    Jeanne and Ruby - I'm off to google that poem, it sounds fun!

    Have a great weekend Sarah! Ours is a long one here and we're off to a local Art Exhibition tomorrow.. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarah,
    It's lovely the way that God weaves all things together, isn't it?

    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Blessings,
    Jillian ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear you had such a successful week of homeschooling Sarah!

    Joshua's narration was fantastic. Tell him I said well done and we are very proud of him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun week of learning!!! I love your reading carosel and all the wonderful books!!!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sarah,
    Those connections are some of my favorite things about a Charlotte Mason approach. My children are noticing it all the time in whatever they're reading. This book mentions that thing they just read about and so on and so forth...And, I'm enjoying those connections, too. It's not something I ever made in my own education.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!