Sunday, February 28, 2010

Love is honorable Part 1

Today is day 15 for me as I journey through The Love Dare book and surrender my will to the Lord, which enables Him to work in my heart, life and marriage.

Todays heading in the book is 'Love is honorable' and I wanted to share a little excerpt ~

"To honor someone means to give them respect and high esteem, to treat them as being special and of great worth.
When you speak to them, you keep your language clean and understandable.
You are courteous and polite.


When they speak to you, you take them seriously,
giving their words weight and significance.
When they ask you to do something,
you accommodate them if at all possible, simply out of respect
for who they are."

One aspect that I love about being a Christian is the amazing teaching that comes from God's Holy word. The power in His word, and that the bible is not just a book to read but one to live out through our daily lives. When I activate God's word in my life, I see incredible change in not only my heart, but in those around me...I am carrying the power of His word and when I use His word that power effects every choice I make.

These are just some of the thoughts that I feel the Lord is whispering to me, reminding me again and again about the power of his word.

You know what I find amazing about following Jesus, is how He teaches us a particular subject through all different doors with out you expecting or trying to find it.

If you didn't quite understand what I meant in the last sentence let me explain a bit deeper.

At the moment I am also reading 'Raising Real Men' by Hal and Melanie Young, who have raised and homeschooled SIX boys! This would have to be one of the most extraordinary 'understanding boys' book that I have ever read. I only read a few pages at a time, then go back over it, so I can truly grasp every word.

Anyway today in this book I was reading about how God has made every boy a leader and how that makes it difficult for mothers with boys to discipline and train, when they naturally want to be in charge. It's a powerful moment when the boy understands that he must first submit before he can truly lead. Also the writer goes into the scripture about how the child must 'honor his Father and Mother'.

Now see, there is that word again 'honor', that is what I mean with how God matches everything up perfectly ~ do you know what I mean? I'm sure most of you can relate, it's like diving into chrystal clear water.

I love how the Lord enlightens me with a certain word and turns my heart into a magnifying glass so I can see clearly what He is teaching.

There is more I want to write on this subject, and hopefully hear and learn from you if you would like to share your thoughts.

11 comments:

  1. I am so thankful you are sharing thoughts from these books and from your hearts. Great inspiration for me today. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like God is speaking deeply to your heart at the moment!
    Luv Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    I, too, have been learning what makes a good marriage, and what it takes to make that marriage work.

    We have been watching a DVD called Love's Lasting Call. :D

    Thank you for sharing.
    Have a wonderful week,
    Blessings,
    Jillian ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Sarah, I have the love dare app on my phone which is handy. Very challenging, its always about bringing it back to the state of our own hearts and surrendering it to him:a constant work.
    Warmly,Skye.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah!

    Great to see you've taken 'The Love Dare' challenge. It is a fun and enlivening one that definitely teaches alot of aspects on love. I thoroughly enjoyed learning from this book and am so pleased you're gaining from it too.

    I bet Dave's lapping it up - hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post. You are right...God brings about his teachings in very wonderful and mysterious ways. I think this is what makes being a Christian so exciting. What is God going to teach me today? And how is he going to teach it? I know no matter what or how, it will be delightful! I didn't know there was a love dare app....gonna have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing! We are doing a bible study for our couples small group called "Walking together" and last Friday when we met the chapter (which we had to study and answer before hand) was on honouring our spouses! Is God speaking or what! (to me:))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear that you're doing The Love Dare challenge. It was such an excellent film, but I am yet to see the book. You are inspiring me to do so.

    Also keen to hear more about your boys book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marriage and raising men are two of my favorite topics. Please, continue to enlighten us. If you are really enjoying this book, I must go pick it up. And I just ordered Fireproof today from Amazon, I already have the book. See, great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I want to read that book for boys too. I read an extract and it looks great. I think that I need to do 'the love dare' challenge too.

    Finally saw the movie Fireproof on the weekend. Loved it. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another book to add to my list of 'must reads'

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!