Friday, November 27, 2009

Holiday Journal ~ Pt 3 This is it...

...It's official, I have been totally consumed with the book bug. The book shop here in Echuca is just marvelous, I was captivated and intrigued with the layout of the book shop and also all the beautiful dog ornaments that the owner collected (for I too have a collection of dog ornaments) that served as book holders.

Well I spent nearly 2 hours in the book shop and it felt like I was in their for only half and hour, but I walked out with some wonderful literature. One that I will mention is the classic book by Margery Williams - 'The Velveteen Rabbit, (which we started last night) I brought this delightful book for $5 and later I saw the same book with a new cover being sold in the newsangency for $25, so I was one happy camper - literally!

My husband had a Charlotte Mason moment when he read Sir Thomas Mitchel's writings of his discovery of the South Eastern part of Australia. "His writing's are like a beautiful piece of art work", he stated, and I said "that is exactly what Charlotte Mason is talking about when she speaks of 'living books'"! Friends this was a beautiful moment! So of course I found a wonderful book in the book shop about Major Thomas and his venture and have started reading it already as a read-a-loud!

This morning Grace & I walked into town at 6:30am to the famous Beechworth Bakery to buy some fresh bread for today's lunches. We sat in and I had a lovely latte and Grace had a wholemeal roll that was still warm with butter and OJ! It was lovely to have girl time!

The sun has just come out, my children are playing tennis and we are having a wonderful time..Praise God!

We plan on going on one of the Paddle Steamers today so that should be fun!

Oh, one more thing, last night we went to the Authentic Italian Restaurant, Dave and Joshua had carbonara (which reminded me of my cousin Jen) with penne, Grace had a Margarita wood oven pizza and I had chicken with roasted vegetables tossed in penne...all our plates were clean! Accompanying my meal I had a delicious local red wine that I will definitely be taking home with me!

We are so blessed in this country! Have a gorgeous day! :-)

Love Sarah xxx

7 comments:

  1. Isn't that bookshop the best!!

    Glad you're having fun despite the rain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to get a mention re: carbonara (yum)...glad you're having a fun time away with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,
    We are certainly blessed in this country - glad that you are having a wonderful holiday.

    Have a great weekend,
    Blessings,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sarah. Sounds like you're having fun. How nice to get some girl time and to explore a great book shop! Gotta love that!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy! We love the Beechworth Bakeries too and were overjoyed when they opened one up in Ballarat a couple of years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all your comments ladies, it's lovely to hear from you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sarah, What a wonderful time your family is enjoying. I haven't been to Echuca but I have nostalgic romantic images of it from All the Rivers Run and that type of thing! Definatley can see you riding a paddle steamer. Perhaps the Philadelphia?
    Have a great rest of the holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!