Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Value of a Kindred Spirit


When I was a young girl one of my favourite movies was 'Anne of Green Gables' and it still remains to be one of my all time favourites. Through out the script Anne meets a lot of different people in her journey and I love how Lucy Maud Montgomery (author of "Anne of Green Gables") makes a strong emphasis when Anne meets a 'kindred spirit' = a person who shares beliefs, attitudes, feelings, or features with another;
My Mum has always said to me 'if you can count on one hand your most loyal friends then you are very blessed', and these words were first spoken by my dear Nana to my Mum and I suspect to all her 6 children. These words I have truly come to understand in these last 10 years. I thought I had some very close friends who turned out to be just using my friendship to get what they wanted then when I needed them the most they were not around and that was the end of a very long so called friendship.
The sting of losing a friend is very strong, and at times it has taken me a good couple of years to overcome this, I know this sounds a very long time, but you see people have a very important place in my life, to all my friends I have tried my best to be loyal, trust worthy, and there in the good and bad times. Through my experiences I have learnt that a lot of people do not hold those same values and I guess I just expected everybody to think this way, so the loss cut deep.
These losses of friends have made me treasure those people that come into my life who are 'kindred spirit', who are open, honest, loyal and share in some of the convictions that I hold. How I just Praise my God when He brings 'kindred spirited' people into my life being for a short time or long time, no matter how long it is, each and every moment enriches my life and I believe there life is enriched also.
Over the last two days God brought people all the way from Singapore to our B&B, I had prayed for them before they even arrived that there stay would be blessed and that God would turn the weather on. Well they turned out to be kindred spirit and they wanted to be with us just as much as we wanted to be with them. To me this is the true definition of a kindred spirit, when people come together no matter what gender, race or religion and just want to be in each other's company.
It is hard to believe that Anne is a made up character, that she never even existed, she was in the ink that went onto paper. To me the character of Anne is alive and always will be.


4 comments:

  1. You really are a loyal and trustworthy person, Sarah. Thank you for being my friend.

    I'm glad you had such a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Sarah....and I agree with what you said here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it seems as if you wrote that post just for me. I just 'lost' a friend of three years. My friends have a very important place in my life, too, so it really hurts when they end the friendship.

    Only time will heal, and the words of wisdom, such as yours. Thank you for your insightful words, which help me to realise that I'm not the only one to go through times such as this.

    Blessings,
    Jillian
    <><

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you are right Jillian the Lord will come and heal that wound, He is so amazing. I have found now that the Lord always brings someone else into your life, there is a purpose for everything! xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are valued!